Last week I got to take a road trip to leave the hustle and bustle of Atlanta, to the open space and farms of South Georgia. I got to stock up on all my favorite farm produce including Peaches, Watermelon, Cucumbers, Cream Peas, Corn, Okra, Red and Green Tomatoes and Sunflower oil. Our first farm stop was Gibbs Farm Store in Abbeville Georgia, where I got to pick my own sunflowers, and pack my car with veggies and fruits. Next, stop was Oliver Farms who just opened up their own store front in Pitts, selling their own cold pressed oils from nuts and seeds. The last stop of the day was Dickey Farms, where we loaded up with peaches, and of course enjoyed their own homemade Peach Ice cream. Needless to say, I am rearing to put all this bountiful produce to great use, and I have been cooking up a storm.
Last week I turned 50 years old, and my girlfriends threw me quite a party. I was allowed to prepare a Summer Salad using the Peaches, Cucumber and Watermelon I had picked up on my road trip South Georgia. The salad was a big hit at my party, and I wanted to shaLast week I got to leave the hustle and bustle of the city of Atlanta, and make a worthwhile trip to South Georgia. I stocked up with all my favorite Georgia grown produce, including Peaches, Watermelon, Okra, Sweet Corn, re the recipe with you!
Here’s the recipe!
Summer Salad with Peaches, Watermelon and Cucumber
(for the salad)
- 2 Lbs Peaches (peeled and sliced in wedges)
- 1 English cucumber (skin removed, halved lengthwise and sliced)
- 1 Lb. Watermelon (skin remove and sliced in cubes)
- 12 basil leaves (torn)
- 12 mint leaves (torn)
- 4 oz feta cheese (crumbled)
- (for the lemon vinegar dressing)
- 2 lemons (zest and juice)
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup of shallots (minced)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to make it
- In a bowl whisk together the shallots, lemon juice and zest and the white wine vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Prepare the cucumbers and toss them in half of the lemon vinegar dressing.
- Slice the peaches and watermelon and toss them in the remaining lemon vinegar dressing.
- To assemble the salad, combine the peaches and cucumber on a large platter. Stir in the feta cheese and finally sprinkle over the torn basil and mint.
Shamrock and Peach (Judith)