The colder weather in Atlanta takes me home to Ireland! I am dreaming of cozy lit fires, endless cups of tea and my mother’s Bakewell tart. Frangipane is a delicious classic cake filling, that is so moist, and heaven for almond lovers. The ground almonds on top of the tart are perfectly crunchy, and such a good texture, with the added layer of raspberry jam, and super moist cake filling. Although the dessert originated in England, it is hugely popular in Ireland, and considered one of our classic desserts. When you visit Ireland, you can find some form of Bakewell tart in most bakeries, coffee houses, or you may see it on the menu as part of an elegant afternoon tea in a Castle or country home. Of course, there are many versions of this dessert, and most families have their onw spin on it. My mother used to make smaller individual tarts, and sometimes swap out the frangipane cake for a classic madeira sponge. Another popular version is to skip the flaked almonds on top of the tart, and glaze with a thin white icing, topped with a glazed cherry. If you have never tasted or made this cake before, it’s worth every bite, and before long you will be adding it to your own dessert favorite’s.
Here is the recipe, and I hope you enjoy! I suggest serving this tart with a nice cup of Irish tea, and invite a friend along to share the joy!
- (for the pastry)
- 1 ½ cups (170g) of flour (I use equal parts cake flour to all purpose)
- ¼ cup (28g) of confectioners’ sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 4 oz cold unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp ice water
- (for the filling)
- 6 Tbsp of raspberry jam
- (for the frangipane cake)
- 4 oz unsalted butter (room temperature)
- ½ cup of granulated sugar
- 1 ¼ cups (120 g) almond flour
- ¼ cup (28g) of cake flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg (and 1 egg yolk)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- (for the topping)
- ½ cup of flaked almonds
How to make it
- Grease a standard 9’ fluted tin pan.
- To make the pastry sieve the flour and sugar together. Rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs. Using a knife stir in the egg yolk and water to form a dough. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface large enough to slightly hang over the edges of the greased fluted tin. Use a knife to trim the edges and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line the tin with parchment and baking beans, and blind bake the crust for the first 15 minutes. Remove the parchment and beans and bake for 5 more minutes to bake center of the pastry. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- To make the cake filling beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, and then beat in the egg and egg yolk and almond and vanilla essence. Fold in the ground almonds and the flour.
- Spread the jam over the base of the tart with the back of a spoon. Spoon over the frangipane cake filling and then top with the flaked almonds. Bake for 35=40 minutes until golden brown and firm to the tourch.
I hope you Enjoy!
Judith (Shamrock and Peach) x