Super Bowl 53 is in our hometown of Atlanta this weekend and the buzz is in the air! The sun is shining, it feels like spring, the traffic is horrible (what’s new?) and all the great and good are descending on the ATL for the annual fest of football and quirky ads on TV…
Being an immigrant, we have grown accustomed to the pageantry that surrounds this most American of tournaments every year, and now quite enjoy the spectacle, and of course THE FOOD! – yes, it’s a great excuse to eat with friends and completely ignore the game until the funny ads come on, but then again, who’s counting!?
Each year I like to bring something fun and unusual to the Super Bowl party, and this weekend my offering are these wonderfully delicious and head turning potato cups. Easy to make, and very delicious. I’ve added some kale options for the ladies to feel good, and bacon and blue cheese for the guys…because they don’t care!
Great recipe, hope you enjoy!…and go…um, whoever!
Judie, the Irish Foodie
Potato Cups (Kale and Mushroom/Bacon and Blue Cheese)
(recipe for 4 will be 3 potato cups per person)
- (for the potato cups)
- 4 Baby Potatoes (red and gold varieties)
- 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- Kosher salt and pepper
- (for the Kale and Mushroom)
- 1 ½ Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp of finely chopped shallots
- 3 oz of mushrooms (finely chopped)
- Handful of leafy kale (destemmed and chopped)
- 1 oz of parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbsp of Mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to season
- (for the Bacon and Blue Cheese)
- 4 slices of bacon (finely sliced)
- 2 oz of blue cheese
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 Tbsp of Mayonnaise
How to make them
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees f.
- Cut each potato in half. Using a melon baller to scoop out a hole in the center in the cut side of each potato half. Use a knife to slice a small piece of the skin side of each potato so they will stand straight when plating and serving.
- Brush potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake on a roasting pan cut side down for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft when pierced with a fork.
- To make the mushroom and kale filling sauté the mushrooms and shallots in olive oil and then add the chopped kale cooking for about 2 minutes to soften. Remove from the heat and stir in the mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make the Bacon and Blue Cheese filing sauté the bacon until it is brown and crispy and then add the garlic and cook for less than a minute. Drain off any excess fat in the ban, stir in the crumbled blue cheese, and mayonnaise.
- Fill cups with prepared fillings and enjoy!