The United States Declaration of Independence was signed in 1776, and on July 4th, America celebrates it’s birth. My husband and I moved to the United States over 20 years ago and we have always loved the casual back yard cook outs and red, white and blue entertaining.
Traditionally casual and fun foods such as, hamburgers, hot dogs and wings are served on the 4th of July, with all the tasty sides. In the past, I have been invited to pot luck style entertaining, that makes it really easy to entertain larger groups, especially when guests bring a dish to share. However, as we all know, the summer of 2020 is not just any year. It is proving to be a unique year, and with social distancing in place, our family are grilling a different dish that we are excited to share with you. Our very own Shamrock and Peach Style Cauliflower Steaks!
Cauliflower has become very popular with the rise of paleo and plant-based diets. Cauliflower is also an excellent carbohydrate substitute and suitable for those suffering with celiac disease or a gluten free diet. This Cauliflower Steak recipe makes a hearty and satisfying meal, especially with the tomato and basil topping. Admittedly we will be also grilling hamburgers for my college age sons, but with a recipe this good, even the biggest carnivorous may not be complaining!
Hope you enjoy and wishing everyone a Safe, healthy and happy 4th of July!
- 2 cauliflower (sliced in to 1 ½” pieces and save the ends)
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- (for the sun-dried and basil cauliflower topping)
- Cauliflower pieces remaining (finely chopped)
- 4 oz of sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil (drained and lightly chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- ¼ cup of parsley (chopped)
- About 12 basil leaves (torn)
- (for the vinaigrette)
- 2 Tbsp of lemon juice and Zest of one lemon
- 3 Tbsp of olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- (to finish)
- 3 Tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Kosher salt
How to make it:
- Slice the cauliflower steaks reserving the broken pieces for later.
- Preheat the grill and brush the cauliflower steaks with olive oil. Season with cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Grill slices for 5-7 minutes on each side until tender and slightly charred.
- While the cauliflower steaks are cooking make the topping. Chop up the remaining cauliflower, sundried tomatoes, garlic, parsley. Fold in the torn basil.
- To make the vinaigrette whisk the olive oil into the lemon juice and zest, and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the vinaigrette with the cauliflower and basil topping.
- To assemble place a slice of Cauliflower steak in the center of each plate. Spoon over the sundried and basil topping.
- Melt the butter in a small pan and add the sunflower seeds shaking gently until they are browned. Season with a little kosher salt and sprinkle over the sun dried and basil topping.
Wishing everyone a very Happy 4th of July
Shamrock and Peach (Judith)