Growing up on a farm in Ireland I discovered the pertinent joy of working for my food. My new adopted home, in the highly populated northern suburbs of Atlanta is never the less deeply wooded. Each year from late Spring to late summer, we have Chanterelle mushrooms growing wild in our back yard. Our family love to gather wild mushrooms, and we enjoy cooking them in a variety of ways .We enjoy the almost peppery taste and the fruity aroma reminiscent of apricots. We are excited to share our favorite pasta dish with you. .
Chantelle’s, also know as the “queen of wild mushrooms”, packed with Vitamin B and D and are great for your immune system. If you are foraging in your woods for mushrooms for Chanterelle’s they can be easily identified by their distinct funnel shape, bright orange/yellow color and forked grills that run all the way down and tapers in to the cap.
We are excited to share one of our families simple way of cooking them!
Foraged Chanterelle’s with Ravioli
- 1 lb. Chanterelle’s (brushed clean and cut in half)
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic (2 finely chopped and 2 thinly sliced)
- ¼ cup of white wine
- ¼ cup of cream
- ¼ cup reserved water from cooked pasta
- 4 sprigs of thyme (leaves removed)
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary (leaves finely chopped)
- Zest of one lemon and 1 Tbsp of juice
- Kosher salt and pepper to season
- (for the pasta)
- ¼ Lb. freshly cooked Ravioli pasta (and 1/4 cup of reserved cooking liquid for the mushrooms)
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan Reggiano
How to make it
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for one minute and then add the mushrooms to the skillet. Cook the mushrooms until they are lightly golden shaking the pan for about 5 minutes. Stir in the rosemary and thyme leaves.
- Add the white wine to the pan and allow in to reduce. Add the cream and pasta water and stir to reduce for a few minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the lemon zest. Finish with a squeeze of lemon juice.
- To serve place the ravioli in the center of each plate and top with the mushrooms. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and grated Parmesan Reggiano.
Shamrock and Peach (Judith)