This crust is an absolute revolution to make dinner for your family in a flash. Making the dough is effortless, and it can be rolled out in minutes. Soda bread Pizza is a traditional Irish soda bread reimagined, and since it’s leavened with baking soda instead of yeast, it never fails to produce a flakey crust. Just try it with salty meats and cheeses, and I promise you will not be disappointed..
Here is the recipe for Irish Soda Bread Pizza:
- (for the pizza dough) – this will make one 10’pizza
- 300 g plain white flour (1 ¾ cups plus 2 Tbsp)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of sea salt
200ml buttermilk (just less than a cup)
- (for the topping)
- Small jar of pizza tomato sauce
- OR (to make your own tomato sauce)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 15 oz tomato sauce (Plus 2 Tbsp water)
- 6 oz can tomato paste.
- 1 Tbsp Italian mixed herbs (oregano, marjoram, rosemary)
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt and a pinch of baking soda
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper.
- (for the toppings)
- 150 g Cheese (I like to use 100 g Mozzarella and 50g Irish cheddar)
- Salami (thinly sliced)
- Optional toppings ideas (basil, thinly sliced onions, red peppers, ham, olives, bacon)
How to make it:
- To make the pizza dough preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Measure the flour and salt into a large bowl and sieve in the baking soda.
- Make a well in the center and slowly add in the buttermilk, using a knife to make a sticky dough.
- Lightly flour a dry surface and transfer the dough from the bowl. Knead the dough gently, and roll with a rolling pin, and then press into a flat pizza tray.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the pizza base. Place the meats and any vegetables next and finally top with the cheeses.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the base is cooked through and the topping is golden brown.
- (PS. For the optional homemade Tomato Sauce: Cook the onion and garlic together with the olive oil for 2 minutes and then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer gently for 15 minutes).
As always enjoy!
Shamrock and Peach (Judith)