Finally, a dessert we can all enjoy that’s not going to mess up our low carb new resolution goals! – Yeah!, right?…and I mention that I add a wee shot of whiskey in there too? It’s just so nice to have that taste of sweet after dinner, and it gives us a chocolate fix all without the guilt…
The recipe has been tweaked from diet doctor I knew, and I custom added a few extra tweaks and instructions, along with that Irish Whiskey, or course!! – The recipe is super easy and fast, but please add the chocolate to the egg yolks slowly (so we do not make chocolate chip mousse..lol). Hope you enjoy and keep up your New Year’s goals, and if your are going to cheat a little (who doesn’t!) then this dessert is your ticket!! Here is the recipe:
- 1 ¼ cups of heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp of Irish Whiskey
- 2 egg yolks (room temperature)
- Pinch of good sea salt
- 3 oz quality dark chocolate
- 2 Tbsp Irish Whiskey
- Mixed berries (raspberries, blueberries and strawberries)
How to make it
- Place 3 oz the chocolate in a double boiler stirring until it has melted. Set the chocolate aside to cool until it reaches room temperature.
- Use an electric mixer to whip the cream until soft peaks appear. Whisk in the Irish whiskey at the end.
- In a clean bowl use a hand whisk to combine the egg yolks and salt together whisking for about a minute until the yolks are pale yellow. Slowly add the chocolate a little at a time to the egg yolks (this must be done very gradually or else the mixture can seize up).
- Finally add a few tablespoons of the cream to the chocolate mixture to make a smooth even batter and then incorporate the remaining cream folding through until all the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Fill up a piping bag with the chocolate mousse mixture and pipe in to small glasses. The recipe makes 10 shot glasses or 6 larger servings.
- Best enjoyed straight from the refrigerator and left to set for 1 hour before eating.
- Before serving to guest’s grate a little chocolate over each individual portion and serve topped with fresh mixed berries!
Enjoy!…(guilt free….) Judie, the Irish Foodie